Saturday, December 8, 2007

A Musician's Story

I remember trying to be good as a child. I would quickly say 5 or 10 “Hail Marys” if I used God’s name in vain. We went to Catholic church every Sunday, but it did not seem to make a difference during the rest of the week.

In high school I rebelled against my parents. For example, I would lie to them, saying I was going to a school play, but going to a friend’s house instead. Basically, I was a brat who wanted my own way.

Then a friend invited me to a retreat. I figured it would be a good way to get away from my parents for the weekend, so I accepted. There I met a real live Christian for the first time. It was very obvious that she was different, taking scorn patiently and answering questions. I became interested in reading the Bible, and did so on the sly (didn’t want anyone seeing me reading it!). I became involved in the youth group at church, where, again, I could see a difference in peoples’ lives. I realized I was a sinner who had offended a holy God, and I needed to repent (turn around and go the other direction with my life). I asked God to forgive my sins and chose to follow Jesus, the one who died to take the penalty for sin that I deserved.

He has helped me through some very difficult times, especially in 2003-2004 when I faced two major abdominal surgeries and was hospitalized a total of 21 days. As I lay in a hospital bed with a tube down my nose draining out my stomach, somehow I knew that this was exactly where Jesus wanted me for that time. He comforted me and pulled me through. He showed me love through my church family, some of whom did my Christmas shopping, took my children shopping so they could buy gifts, brought meals to our home, and came and helped with my medical needs. It was a very precious time of knowing Jesus more intimately.

I started taking piano lessons when I was seven years old. I switched to harpsichord in college and absolutely love the sound of the instrument! I perform as often as I can, and I teach various music classes at The Master’s College. Whether I teach or perform, I do it all to honor God. He is always in my audience!

It’s been a 30-year long adventure walking with my Lord and Savior. I still stumble and sin, but He forgives me. He loves me with an everlasting love, more than anyone here could ever love me. I know that I am His child and will be with Him when I leave this earth.

Ruta Bloomfield

No comments: